city light, city bright

Earlier this week while mulling over an ethical dilemma concerning a road sign, I started to think about what piece of public property I desired the most. Easy. It is this manhole cover, which taunts me daily. So, I called Seattle City Light Customer Service to see if I could acquire one, who transferred me to the 911 equivalent of water, who transferred me back to customer service (peeved that I had no emergency), who transferred me to Neverland, who informed me that none were for sale and that theft was somewhat of an issue. And no, posters are not available.

To date, my efforts to learn about manhole covers seem to be in vain. A friend suggested I check with the foundry. Well I've yet to find one in the US...much more, the one that makes this delightful design. Who knew that they cost approximately $500, that they had three parts to them (lid, concrete innards, and underside), and that hanging one on my wall was likely not anticipated by the building's engineers. I'd settle for one posing as a coffee table top!?

In the meantime, I'll walk around this function piece of art out of positive regard. And plus...if people are stealing them, that must mean there's a market? I prefer to believe it's an under-supplied under-developed market that doesn't compensate based upon weight. I can wait...errr...will wait...until this desire fizzles.

4 comments:

Pharmgirl said...

Wow, that's exquisite! I want one too!

Laura said...

It is very cool looking...I love your blog- it makes stop and consider. I think you are right- there is probably a huge market for those tables. I'd buy one. )

Anonymous said...

I saw a show on this yesterday, Kateen, and they said the approx. cost of one of these is $1,400.... so they are not cheap! Plus the fact that hanging one on your wall would be quite a task - as they are very heavy!

kateen said...

Very valid points! With help, I found a smaller cover (25 inches across) which weighed 95 pounds for $295. Canvases on the walls and wood tables on the floor have their benefits :) Though I am not yet deterred. I need a welder. And a metal cutter. And likely a new place to live :)

Copyright © 2008 - ~ to satiate curiosity ~ - is proudly powered by Blogger