she slumbers




4,565 feet elevation gain, 11.6 miles round-trip, great views and a fair bit of character-building later, my father and I claimed Mt. St. Helens as our own. The scramble is both doable and gratifying. It is awesome to stare into the crater and think about the tons of earth that were displaced...and then watch the steam ooze around glaciers being split by the rising dome in the middle. Oh and for the record: preparedness feels a bit foolish after being passed by someone in pajamas and tennis shoes while wearing wicking waterproof windproof clothing and gators with mountain climbing boots and having a first-aid kit, head lamp, map, emergency shelter, and extra food and water stowed in one's pack. Thereby proving that being responsible does not always look worthwhile!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You I see making this climb. Your dad, however inspires me to never get old. Wish I could have joined you.

kateen said...

Perhaps next year...surely my dad will be looking for another mountain to climb!?

Copyright © 2008 - ~ to satiate curiosity ~ - is proudly powered by Blogger