unexpected life lesson

On a crowded street corner today, a short unshaven 55ish-year-old pleasantly-round Spanish cook (unicolor clothing, poofy hat and food stains) shook his finger and furrowed his bold brow at me. In the tone of a parent who doesn't know whether to respond with relief or anger, he scolded "Don't you EVER do that again!" I believed he was simply another oddity witnessed on the streets. I tried the usual tactic...not looking. Yet curiosity got the best of me. He then touched my arm and pretended to walk without looking up. In that moment, I realized that (1) I had walked across the street while texting using only my peripheral vision; (2) concern can easily be mistaken for crazed behavior; and (3) at some base level we are all quite alike. Perhaps it does take a village.

2 comments:

Nick Thiry said...

Well, as your dad I am happy to think someone is looking out for you. Even if it comes from odd sources - -
Your Dad

kateen said...

:) Some days, I suspect, I may need all the help I can get...though I'll not admit that too publicly....smile!

Copyright © 2008 - ~ to satiate curiosity ~ - is proudly powered by Blogger