sweet land of liberty

Having never been to Washington DC, never having people I knew well serve in our military, never experiencing a significant loss of freedom, and not having being alive during a conflict that affected ordinary days of citizens, I've felt that I lacked a quantity of patriotism. To my chagrin. Yes, I love America and yes, I feel respect for our flag. But truly, I do not understand the cost and my history is foggy. And so, on one of the hottest days on the East Coast, I walked all of the monuments. Felt good. By the way, a Dove ice cream bar CAN melt in a minute and a half.



Washington Monument and Roosevelt Memorial....well-photographed, so surreal to be there.



WWII Monument...one of the newer ones. Very sober for how open it was...and how good it felt to be in or near water on this hot day.

Oh and did I mention there were 150,000 Boy Scouts in DC the same week? They should actually be in more of my pictures. Quite the courteous fellows in line though.



The White House...and the protestors...24/7 protestors. Ug.



The Lincoln Memorial. Here is one place that was just as I expected. Though overridden with tourists.



The Korean War Memorial. And the memorable quotation.



My walking ended at dusk on the capital lawn...relief. On another evening, I took this picture of the ceiling of the Kennedy Center. I saw Mary Poppins Broadway show (great!) and had sufficient time before to contemplate why it is when I'm told I can't take a photo, all I really want to do IS take a photo. Happened in the Sistine Chapel too. Ridiculously juvenile.

Because DC does see a fair share of tourists, there is garbage. And so, the sign amused me.

I need to go back...and use all my maturity and patience on several days of museums....

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - ~ to satiate curiosity ~ - is proudly powered by Blogger