ode to unemployment

I have joked often over the last 11 months that retirement will suit me well. It will! And yet I crave the growth and challenge that comes from situations and people that I do not choose...namely "work".

The leisure, the geography, the food, the culture, the skill, etc...all just details. I have learned:

  • a certain quantity of uncertainty is beneficial;
  • to enjoy relaxing in cafes for indeterminate periods of time;
  • to be satisfied with whatever a day brings, as a "total waste" is simply not possible;
  • how to let myself off the hook;
  • the value of bring present;
  • that the projects I planned to do during my time off, but haven't done, will likely never be completed as they didn't ever pass the cost/benefit test (electronic recipe book, etc.);
  • how to make truffles and other calorific time-intensive recipes;
  • the benefits of prioritizing what matters most;
  • to see the futility of most routines;
  • what truly defines an individual is not their average day or experience;
  • that actually finishing books feels good (favorites of the year were: "The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World" and "What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self";
  • and finally that though independence and flightiness has their allure, quality interaction is priceless.

3 comments:

Sandi Thompson said...

Kateen: I loved sharing in your life today! Sandi

Unknown said...

Nice observations Kateen!

Laura said...

Always profound! Love ya Kateen! And all the pictures are amazing! Glad you had this last year to explore and I know that you will continue to! Thanks for sharing!

Copyright © 2008 - ~ to satiate curiosity ~ - is proudly powered by Blogger